Sunday, March 25, 2007

And still here...

So I took down the little baby tracker thing because it was just pissing me off. Not a twinge, not a cramp, not any sign of an ache in my back to be found (just raging hormones), so we'll just go with the French date. Another week; it's very doable.

My baby, who has so far been very calm and was kind enough to seemingly sleep at night, has now decided to throw herself a little pre-birthday party between oh, say, 1 - 4 a.m. on a regular basis. Given the heartburn and insomnia that goes along with the territory, I've just switched to finding an activity to occupy me while standing instead of sitting. Yesterday it was scraping grease spatters off the oven door with an exacto knife, checking every single expiration date on food items in our cupboards, and the normal Mr. Clean disinfectant wipe routine. I would have mopped the floor but didn't want to wake my husband, so I'll just prepare the stuff in advance for tonight. Am I nesting? Is this a sign? No, folks, it's not...it's just boredom and a desire to wear us both out so I can sleep. I know all this is fascinating. Sorry.

On the other hand, my husband is definitely doing his version of nesting, which involves playing with the stroller combo, looking at bigger cars and rearranging furniture. He's got big plans on how we'll arrange the apartment and is taking all of our good wine glasses out of the buffet as I write in order to do make some kind of improvement. Now he's gotten out the measuring tape and is moving the table around, which for some reason is driving me crazy but he says, "I'm just nesting! Let me nest!" And he's right...God knows he deserves my patience for how wonderful he's been with me all along. So I'll just go right back to blogging.

Oh, and hey, for the really good news -- the secu paid up! On Friday I got another very vague letter that hinted I may be entitled to paid maternity leave without actually stating it in direct terms, but when we checked our bank account we saw the deposit. We ended up writing a couple of letters, submitting more files and the bookkeeper from work called to find out what was going on, so I guess persistence is the trick. I feel less stressed already.

I sometimes wonder what these last few weeks of pregnancy would have been like if I were still in the U.S. Would I still be working? I know a teacher who worked right up until the end...one day she was there and the next she was in the hospital. Would I be hanging out at Target, Barnes & Noble, and Michael's, spending a lot of money on crap I don't need? I'm sure I would be seeing my friends and family all the time, which is what I most regret. I'm happy here, but would love to be home with them. Or have them over here with me.

Right. I need to stand up again, so I'll go for now. If you don't hear from me, don't worry...I'm most likely not in labor, just trying to stay in motion to keep Little Miss off of my bladder. I'll give her a pat for you guys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there girlfriend and keep up the good work. She'll be here soon and you will be a wonderful Mom. Sounds as if hubby is having a good time too, trying to find things to do and stay out of your hair. Hope you get some sleep soon
and the little one decides it's time to come on out and see what all the fuss is about before too much longer. Good Luck

the fabulous adventures of sarah said...

Thank you for the update my dear PMF!

I am thinking of you constantly the past few days and sending you positive thoughts as usual ;)

I'd love to say more, but I don't want to put it all here in the public eye so to speak. Let's just say: I am wishing you SO well and thinking about you and your family.

Things here are good, the weather is getting warmer and the sun is shining - and I am spending too much time at the beach as usual - te he he.

My love to you and your family!
-Sarah

Reb said...

Hang in there. Talk to your baby and explain that she needs to start working her ay out soon. I was 4 days later. I kept talking to my baby telling her that if she didn't come out on her own, they were gonna force her out. She listened and decided to come the morning they were supposed to induce labor.

Just me said...

Maybe you've had your baby by now....but if you haven't, don't despair, it will happen soon enough!

Make sure you relax and get plenty of rest because you never know when you're going to "pop"! ;o)

Best of luck to you!