Friday, May 22, 2009

Learning the Hard Way About Paint

Our kitchen is fairly dark, and the inherited color scheme is brown, darker brown, brown that is a little bit lighter than that, and then more brown. We (okay, so it was really mainly me) decided to paint some of the darkest wood trim on the cupboards a nice sunflower yellow to brighten it up. Today I cracked open the pot and gave it a go.

Turns out it's more of a school bus yellow than sunflower.

OMG.

And holy crap.

It does not make me want to stand around cooking delicious food, it makes me want to cover my eyes and flee.

Turns out I'm much better at removing ugly wallpaper than choosing colors and applying paint, but I guess one has to start somewhere.

ETA: I've decided it's more of a "tennis ball yellow" than school bus. My husband says it's going to look nice. How am Iever going to get him to decide to try another color and think it's his idea??

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Maybe you could paint the entire kitchen that color...then maybe he would decide that it isn't such a nice color.

Chrisbookarama said...

Yellow is a really hard colour to get right. It's either pretty or burn-your-retinas.There is no in between.

Michelle said...

OMG. That is too funny. I once let Jim pick out the color for our bedroom. He came home with florescent lime green and actually put it on the walls before I could veto it. That color didn't help us fall asleep, but we had no problem waking up!! Good luck with fixing your paint issues!

Beth said...

I SO know what you are going through! Home decorating is hazardous to the self-esteem, isn't it? You choose a color at the shop and then get home, open the can and think "OMG! What was I thinking!?" Then the real horror begins...
Best of luck with this!!

I'm off now to check out your other blog...

Kathy said...

LOL!!!! I bought pait Saturday for the kids rooms. I decided, "I'm letting the kids pick out their own color for their rooms". Daniel choose blue (that's okay . . .) Abby's favorite color is ORANGE (ouch)!!!!! My brother-in-law wants me to do some blending with light and dark paint which will give it a textured/rich look. I'm going to give that a try. You can come see it this summer and either laugh with me or get a new idea.