Saturday, December 01, 2007

Other Random News



I found cans of Dr. Pepper (!) in our local supermarket. This may not sound like big news to you, but that is the only drug that I've ever gone through withdrawal for. When I was living in Dr. Pepper-less eastern Japan, I had multiple dreams about flying home to visit my folks and then stock up on 2-liter bottles of the stuff. I've had people tell me it tastes like cough syrup, but I once read that my area was the Dr. Pepper capital of the world -- meaning that a lot of it is consumed there. I guess it's in my blood, then.

Funnily enough, I was with my sister at the time. One of my earliest memories is of her letting me have a sip from one of those tall glass bottles. I miss those! She was in a bathrobe with her hair wrapped up in a towel and I was in my pajamas getting ready for bed, and my parents weren't there. Normally soda was a big no-no for me, but she was drinking some and I begged her to let me have a taste and she did. I'm sure she was already on my list of favorite people in the world, anyway, but that moment cemented it for me.

It was a strange moment for me because even though my soda consumption is almost non-existent (not quite, though) I still did a little happy dance in the middle of the aisle. I can't help myself, I'm conditioned to feel joy at the mere sight of it. It just goes to show how much I've changed that when I found out how much they were charging, I put it back on the shelf and said I'd wait 'til I got home. In Japan, I would take 1,000 yen bills and empty out any Tokyo vending machine I came across and carry my haul back to my teeny apartment where I would hoarde it for the moments of the most intense homesickness.

Don't be fooled, though -- in a couple of weeks you'll find me eating biscuits and gravy and drinking Dr. Pepper on a daily basis, although possibly not at the same time.

3 comments:

PutYourFlareOn said...

I am right there with you on the DP. When I go home, my dad always has a big two liter bottle of it waiting for me.

I am so jealous that you local grocery store has it! Jealousy!!!! I guess I will have to come down and visit soon and drink DP with you.

Anonymous said...

I know people who eat biscuits and gravy and drink DP at the same time, but then I live in Texas, Dr. Pepper Country:-) I'm not a fan, but I know tons of people who are and they've gone through withdrawals when they left the state. Have a great trip back to the States!

The Late Bloomer said...

I think I would have had a little happy dance too -- I'm a big Dr. Pepper fan from way back, although perhaps not as far back as you! I do remember going through a lot of it in college, though, and anytime I see it here in Frace I'm happy...

And I've also minimized my amount of soda consumption these days, although there's nothing like a nice ice-cold soda with hot pizza if you ask me!