Sunday, October 07, 2007

Slobberella's Half Birthday

6 months. I can't believe it. A friend of mine once said babies change completely every 3 months and she was right. Slobberella is sitting up by herself, reaching and grabbing for things easily, and no longer falls for some of Momma's sneakiest tricks (unfortunately for me). She is also laughing a true, deep, gutteral laugh and is looking more and more like her father every day. I was going to write that at times she also smells like her father (not that I'm one to talk after the 'very pregnant in the elevator' episode), but that would just be going after a cheap laugh and totally unfair to my husband, who always smells like roses.

I'm still breastfeeding and never thought I'd see this day. Another friend of mine advised to wean after 6 months but I think I'm going to continue at least another 3 months. She took a bottle for a little while today -- not long, but it's a start. I worked so hard to get here that I can't imagine stopping now, just when everything is going well. Plus, let's face it, I'm going to enjoy having boobs a little longer, even if they are now lopsided. But you probably didn't want to know that, did you.

She had her first official "real food" today...I know the current trend is to introduce different items one at a time, but I decided to go with my pediatrician's recommendation and try a puree of 3 vegetables. I steamed organic carrots, potatoes and green beans and then made it into a thick soup that I thinned with milk. It would be a bald-faced lie to write that she liked it -- she reacted as if we were playing a very cruel joke on her -- but she did okay. We read that it's better to start with vegetables so she won't get too used to the sugar in fruit, but we'll see how this pans out. I think she's ready...she acted hungry for it, just very very disappointed with the taste. I hope those people are right when they said kids just need exposure before they learn to like different tastes, because I froze a whole batch of food for this week.

2 comments:

Reb said...

Don't listen to anyone about breastfeeding. Stop when you feel the time is right. I went until the first top tooth starting coming in. I don't like pain.

And one reason to do it longer is your boobs will probably be smaller than before. Mother Nature is sadistic.

Sweet potatos are a good one too.

Riana Lagarde said...

Yeh, BF as long as you want. Its very very sweet, by the way and babies love it and its the best for them.

I second sweet potatoes, she loved those from the get go. Just freeze your threesome for later down the line. Green beans are hard for first because of their texture.

Bananas, yum. Try that too!