Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Favorite Etsy Goodness

In true to "normally I just ramble about what's going on in my life for my parents' behalf, but every once in a while I wake up and decide to be like Oprah and tell the world about my favorite things, only without the free stuff under your chair" form, I'd like to feature a couple of Etsy shops that I think are very deserving. I realize getting people addicted to Etsy has its own problems in the long run , so I promise to limit myself.

Mom, have we talked about Etsy? You probably already know about it, but just in case, let me explain that it's an online marketplace for people to buy and sell *handmade* items. So yeah, there is a lot of crafty goodness on there.

Today's featured Etsy crafter is this chickadee, whose blog I've been following and drooling over for ages. There are times when I've thought under different life circumstances that I would show up on her doorstep like it was a buddhist monastery and ask her if I could live in her garage and learn from her as an apprentice. (Sorry, don't mean to scare you, chickadee...I'm not really going to do that). But she has a lot of crafty talent and I love to see what she comes up with.

If you click on this link to her blog you can check out her bowls (more labels on her right sidebar), metalhead bags, and the various and sundry cute stuff that's filed under "happy homemaker." I'd also like to point out that she uses both gorgeous contemporary fabric along with repurposed material so the satisfaction of not spending money on mass-produced, impersonal items is just that much greater. If I had been smarter, I would have written this post before Mother's Day but it's never too late to spoil one's Dear Momma.

Right now during May she is busy adding one new item per day to her Etsy shop, with free shipping on that item until the end of the month. Here's her little blurb from her blog:

this chickadee is a one woman sweatless-sweatshop whose goal is to make the world a cuter place, one loving stitch at a time.

it all began as a way to find alternatives to mass market accoutrements for myself and my home. now the love is spreading and this chickadee is hoping to branch out and brighten your little corner of the forest too.

This chickadee definitely has my support! I hope you'll find her as delightful as I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Etsy too. Why make it yourself when you can buy it so cheaply there? I could spend all day there.

this chickadee said...

thank you so much for this lovely post! you are welcome here any time...although i have no garage for you to sleep in...there is a very uncomfortable futon though.