Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hanging in There...

Things are going pretty well...nothing amazing to write about, but nothing terrible, either, so I couldn't really ask for more. I'm ready for maternity leave (oh, boy, am I) -- I'm tired all the time and the clients who fail to show up after I drag my pregnant butt out of bed to be at work on time are starting to really annoy me. I can usually be patient because I know things come up, but woe betide all who stand between me and more sleep at the moment. This is when I know I need a new career.

We've finally chosen a stroller and have ordered it from the store. It was one of the most compact versions and it's also one of the easiest to fold. Needless to say, I will not be jogging anytime soon (I'm just not like that) so we opted not to get one of the trendy 3-wheeler kind. The good news is that it seems fairly practical and easy to store in our current car and apartment. The plan right now is to let the baby sleep in the little bassinette that comes with it for the first month or so, thereby giving us time to arrange the apartment and figure out how to cat-proof everything. Good Lord, there's still a lot to do. Anyway, I like the idea of being able to roll her wherever I go -- not that there's really a lot of possibilities in the current apartment. But still...

The stroller shopping part was fun; European strollers are pretty spiffy and from what I read on-line seem to in-demand back in the US as well. One of our friends remarked not too long ago that European strollers are the bee's knees because of all the walking that goes on around here, while in the US it's the car seats that end up being plush and luxurious. I never really thought about that until then, but over Christmas I noticed that it seemed to be true. Car seats with cupholders...why not? And the dou-dou is apparently making its debut back home! My aunt brought me a very cute one over from California when she visited and pointed out that it served as both a stuffed animal and security blanket at the same time. Once again, an astute observation that I had missed...at first I just thought the purpose was to be small and portable, but it's true that it does have a security blanket look. My favorite, though, is the little boys who carry around their little rabbits by the ears. Just too cute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the weather is great there winter has finally arrived here and it's cold, but look forward to spring. It won't be long before you have a little free time so hope you will get to enjoy just taking time for you.
How does your own exercise shop with curves sound? I believe you would be a great teacher. I hear they have opened one in Paris.
Best wishes for a great week.

Unknown said...

You will figure everything out in time, I am sure.

Are you really planning on a career change after the baby or just looking forward to maternity leave?